Q&A with Daily Mail

What’s your earliest memory? My father was always doing things: I never saw him in bed until he had a heart attack in his thirties – I remember going into the bedroom and craning my neck to see him over the mattress. 
What sort of child were you? Part extrovert, part wallflower. I was a daredevil, always trying to ingratiate myself with my peers by doing risky things like jumping off walls. I was naughty and I hope I still am. Hopefully I’m more extrovert than introvert now.   
What are you best at?I cook a mean Sunday lunch. My idea of heaven is a lunch outside on a beautifully sunny Sunday afternoon. It’s the time to gather everyone together. Heston Blumenthal does an amazing roast leg of lamb with garlic, anchovies, rosemary and groundnut oil. 
What do you want to be better at?Technology. Being useless with electronic gadgets has its advantages, though. I get to look out and enjoy the scenery from a train, rather than be glued to a screen.  
What’s the worst thing you’ve read about yourself?One critic wrote, ‘The only thing worse than casting Cate Blanchett would have been casting Dame Edna Everage.’ I tried really hard to take that as a compliment. 
Who is your dream dinner date?Queen Maxima of The Netherlands. I think she’s a fascinating, liberal figure. She’s been a force for good in terms of promoting tolerance of gay marriage.  
What is your biggest fear?Like any mum I fear some mysterious illness befalling my children. Apart from that I’m not good with spiders. People who say there’s nothing to fear from spiders have clearly never been to Australia.  
Who do you most admire?Woody Allen. I’d wanted to work with him for years, then he called to ask if I was interested in Blue Jasmine. I started to sweat. The conversation lasted two minutes. When I called him to say how much I loved it, that conversation lasted 45 seconds. He doesn’t waste time. He has the brutal understanding of a stand-up, knowing instinctively if something works or not.
 
When did you last tell a lie?People assume actors are born liars but I’d argue the actor’s job is to tell the truth. And I’ve realised I’m not a good liar.  
What do you dream about?We owned a beautiful house in Brighton right by the sea. I dream about the starlings over the West Pier. Every afternoon, at precisely 4.10, they’d swoop past my window and along the beach. I’d like to think they did it just for me.   
What is your worst character trait?My short-term memory is shockingly bad. It’s a real struggle when people ask me what I’ve seen or read recently. 
Tell us a secret about yourself.I can scratch the back of my head with my elbow. Try it. It’s not as easy as it sounds.   
When did you last feel really happy?A couple of weeks ago I went to Kangaroo Valley, outside Sydney, which has the most amazing flora and fauna. I was on the river when the sun came through the trees and hit the water. It was like a ray from God.  
The best night of your life?Last summer we spent the night on a beach in Queensland. Out of the blue, my children decided me and my husband should remarry. So they conducted this hilarious ceremony. You have to acknowledge perfect moments when they happen. A minute later you might be collecting the rubbish from the back yard.  
Who would you like to say sorry to?A few years ago I got a fan letter from an old man. Inside was this collection of stamps. In return, he wanted an autograph. But I lost his address so couldn’t reply. If he’s reading this, I’m terribly sorry.  
What’s your most embarrassing moment?I never get embarrassed. If I ever feel embarrassed, I’m able to completely hide it. When I feel like I’m about to blush I can will it not to happen. The trick is being able to control your body temperature. It’s such a gift and might partly explain why I’ve got to where I am in life. I’m beyond embarrassment.  
What is your most treasured possession?In my loft are three boxes with my children’s first teeth, their first curls, their baby bracelets and birth certificates. They’re precious.   
How would you like to be remembered?For the quality of my banana upside down cake. I made my first one just the other day and it was received with some acclaim. I’m a good baker but I truly excelled on this occasion.
Source